Skip to main content

Change 2013

Being a Pakistani, i should have been sure by now who to support in Election 2013 as the voting is hours away. However, i have my reasons to be undecided yet. I am all confused. No one seems to be with clean hands. The only one who has not been tried yet is IK and seems a reasonable choice in this confusion, however, his so called revolution and promises, by far, sound unrealistic and need only miracles for them to happen. 90 days for elimination of corruption, sounds very unlikely, given very deep roots of corruption and wrong doings in societal setup of Pakistan.

I am also very much vary of the social media campaign of PTI, i am not sure if the most of the admins of all those Facebook pages and twiteers' supporting PTI are friends or foes. To me whatever is being said and depicted on social media reflects the very nature and kind of the followers PTI have and i must say, to me, it is, by far, not impressive, instead, it simply drives me away from the party it represent. 

They say that Imran Khan is a charismatic leader. The charismatic leaders tend to influence their followers to reflect what they are, but, look here, is this what he is and is this the charisma he carries, if so, then what good is he? If he cant bring a change in the attitude of his team, why shall we expect him to bring about a change in society. To me, it will be a business as usual. Having said that, i wish we could have a probationary period in politics to decide whether to keep or dump someone. 

Then there is PML-N, tested and tried, to me they did not do very bad. They were not, at least, an utter disaster like PPP, they did some good. Made some very difficult choices. One can argue whether those decisions were out of their own will or under influence, at the end of the day, those decisions were actually made, therefore, credit should be given to them. Another argument is made that they had a vary narrow vision, i agree, but at least they had one, unlike others who do not have a clear direction let alone the vision. Shall we expect anything from them if they come? i would say yes and this time around, again, they will make some difficult but good choices, not entirely on their own willingness but under pressure, created mostly by Imran Khan.

Lets talk about PPP, to me i am not even considering them as potential candidate for my support, thanks to their performance in last five years. An idiotic, self centered and massively stupid leadership, which has driven our nation to chaos. 

MQM is just the same as PPP, Stupid most leadership, not just in Pakistan but in the world, i bet they would beat anyone and anything when it comes to " who is the most stupid".

I am not discounting the religious parties at all, their presence is there. To me, they still need time to mature to be part of the political forces. They have to first change the impression having extreme views about somethings, and when i say extreme, it has nothing to do with religion but the very definition of it. To start with, they have to rise above sectarianism. Religious parties, therefore, are not and were never among my list of choices. 

At the end, i am hopeful  more than ever this time around. A positive change is on the horizon, no matter who would lead it to be. 

Muhammad Ali 
May 10, 2013. Doha, Qatar


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter written in wake of imposition of emergency in Pakistan.

An Open Letter to Mr. Musharraf "Dear" Mr. Musharraf Let me introduce myself first. I am no politician, column writer, journalist, human rights activist, lawyer, judge or anyone who is in your damned list. I am just a "bloody civilian" who is in search of his identity and grace these days being a citizen of a country used to be called Pakistan, whose name is changed to "Musharraf First". It is such a shame to be called a Pakistani these days, especially if you are living in some other country like I am. I am being laughed at and ridiculed on my past comments, which I had made about my homeland with pride and honor. Now the same words are haunting me everyday since last three weeks. Your endless and shameless justification of proclamation of emergency were causing us the embarrassment everyday, but today was the height of your audacious claim that USA is with you 200%. My mind was blown off on reading this statement, but as I am an optimist, I thought there